Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A quick post.....

We had a good Christmas, but I have to say I'm glad to see 2008 done with. I've heard several people say the samething. What's up with that? Good Charma or kizmit just wasn't flowing last year.

Anyway over the holidays I kept busy with a couple projects which are now finished.

Cross-Country Chullo, free pattern from knitty.com

Yarn: Patons Decor (Purchased at Michael's)
75% Acrylic
25 Wool
Colours: Pale Sage Green, Rich Grey Heather




It's been so cold I've been thankful I managed to finish this in time to actually use it this winter.

Next project came along while we were in Jasper, Alberta over the holidays. I stopped in at a little yarn store called A Stychen Time, and picked up some Sari-Rainbow Silk from Nepal. 100% silk, 200 gr., 200 yards. I always liked the pattern Morning Surf Scarf, and I thought the silk would work for this pattern.


Morning Surf Scarf
Pattern from Spin-Off Magazine, Summer 2008









Blocking....silk doesn't stretch as much as wool, and this pattern gulped up the 200 yards I had. The finished measurement is 20cm x 158 cm. Or 8in. x 62 1/2in.


Dry cleaning is recommended, but it says on the label you can wash in luke warm water which is what I did with vinegar to set the colour. Whew! What a smell that came off this silk. I used some essential oils to combat the odour, but what seemed to really work is laying Bounce fabric softner sheets underneath the scarf while blocking. All is well now.


Hope all is well with you, and stay warm!


Noodles knows how to stay warm....I can't get her out of the lightbox I use for photography. She feels the heat from the lamps and loves it.

6 comments:

Sarah-Mae said...

Hahaha, oh Noodles!!!

Seems as though we were on similar brain waves over the holidays! I finally pulled out a couple balls of Recycled Sari Silk that I've had for over a year and knit up the Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf that everyone does in Noro yarns! ha.
Sari Silk just BREATHES bags and scarves!!!

Jody said...

Oh that hat is excellent Charlene and I want to make that morning surf scarf too.
Spending some holiday time in Jasper? How lucky you are....it's so beautiful out west.

Val said...

Love the hat. Nice job.
Leave it to a cat to find a cozy spot for a nape ;)
I just spun some undyed bombex silk and it smelled bad, but when it was dry it was OK.

Anonymous said...

Love that hat! Noodles is too cute!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi Charlene,
You have been very busy. Don't you love that Sari Silk? Your scarf is lovely. I tried knitting the Morning Surf scarf and for the life of me I just couldn't get it to come out right. I guess my brain was on vacation.
I LOVE your new header picture. It's so colorful.

catsmum said...

that scarf is in my Ravelry queue - might actually get to the top one day ... love your version