Thursday, January 24, 2008

I've had a revelation since reading Yarn Harlot's post today......My husband should be posting on this blog. Over the last couple of days he's been having a run of bad luck with things happening to him.....not serious things, but things that either piss you off or make you laugh. I'm from the school, it's better to be pissed off than pissed on, life is too short.

This past Saturday 01/19 was a good day. It was my MIL's (mother in-law) and Aunt by marriage combined 75th birthday parties. The weather was kind of dicey and the party was out of town which required piling six adults, with bulky winter coats, into a Ford Explorer. The phrase 'packed like sardines' comes to mind. My DH had been feeling the beginning of a cold coming on, but he was appointed designated driver. That part was okay, but the roads were not the greatest, and in the back we packed along a big crockpot of Buttered Chicken as our contribution to the potluck supper. I should have been more alert knowing DH was feeling under the weather, and driving for an hour and a half on highways covered in black ice, he was tired. So it was no surprise when he told me that he'd knocked over the bouquet of flowers spilling water. No biggy, got some towels, cleaned it all up. A little while later it was time for the potluck. Unfortunately DH had probably gone into some kind of brainfog with all the visiting, and not feeling too well, and hungry, and he went out to get the crockpot full of Buttered Chicken.......

I continued on visiting, and about 20 minutes later my DS came in saying Dad's swearing up a storm outside. wtf? Now I'm okay with Dale swearing, but I was a little worried about who was hearing all of this vocabulary. I started for the front door of the hall and I was catching bits of info, 'He fell, landed on the sidewalk, they're cleaning it up.' I knew it couldn't be good. The planets were not lined up that day for people to be sampling Buttered Chicken. It's funny now, but when you see it splattered on the snow covered concrete all I could think of was it looked like someone had gotten violently ill. It doesn't look too appetizing splayed out like that, and I was kind of glad that none of it was left and no one had to sample it. DH was totally gutted that he'd tripped and fallen, but he'd tried valiantly to save it, and in the process banged up his thumb, and wrecked his knee, and bruised his feelings in the fall. Anyway we got it all cleaned up, and continued on with the night, and as usual there was more than enough food.

I wonder if my DH would enjoy the theraputic benefits of knitting after a day like he had?...Not.

It's amazing when talking with other knitters, or reading on the blogs, we all seem to experience the same peace and enjoyment that knitting, crochetting, or whatever brings to us.

So on to my newest obsession.......
I was wanting to think up some cutesy name for this colour....I started with Paprika, but now after carding it it's looking more peachy. It was a mystery roving special from Wool2Dye4 and it turned out to be a great learning fibre. It took the dye great, and it's been wonderful to spin up.













I've been enjoying spinning so much my neck is sore. I feel like I'm relaxed but I'm concentrating so hard that I probably don't realize I'm tensing up. This is a single ply right now of the Paprika......








This is the
finished 2 ply yarn colourway: Raisin. I first KoolAid dyed the roving, then carded, then spun up. Fun, fun, fun.......I have to figure out what my meterage is before deciding what I'm going to do with it.






It was a good day to stay inside though. Our temperature high today was -20C with blowing snow............

No comments: