Thursday, February 19, 2009

What joy there is when a movie has some great knitting in it......

I'll have to put Tess of the D'Urbervilles down as another movie with a few glimpses of some interesting knitting. I've never traveled England's countryside but I can imagine that it looks very much like it did in this four-part drama series. Beautiful cinematography.

The thing that caught my eye was a wrap around shawl that Tess Derbeyfield was wearing. I made my husband stop the movie and got him to freeze frame, and from what I could see it was a straight garter stitch with a picot edge shawl. I've attached a link showing a clip from youtube, but it's not the greatest of quality.

After looking through all my reference material I came up with a similar pattern that I'm going to follow to hopefully make something similar to the shawl like Tess's. Folk Shawls 25 Knitting patterns and tales from around the world by Cheryl Oberle It's the Simple Garter Stitch Prairie Shawl. With some of my own modifications I think I'm close to the same design on the movie. I've stretched it out width wise to allow for the wrap around which buttons in the back, and I've added a picot edging all the way around for a finished edge.



Yarn: Berroco, Peruvia, 100% Peruvian Highland Wool, colour: 7105 Prairie Dog, Needles: Knitpicks Interchangeable Needles 5.00mm.












Not quite done yet, but I'll post pictures of the shawl when it's finished.

1 comment:

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Charlene,you are a fast knitter. I love Prairie Shawls. I have knitted three. They are so warm and cozy and easy to knit.
I just love your header picture. All that beautiful color is amazing.