Wednesday, June 20, 2007


Over the past several days I've been having fun picking out yarn for my next couple of projects. The first being a pair of fingerless mitts for my daughter Nicole. I went to my stash and I had some black, but of course it wasn't the right gauge and I didn't have enough. So off to River City Yarns




The pattern I've picked is Wine and Roses Mitts
designed by Jolene Treace from Interweave Knits,
Winter 2006.

I decided to go with two strands as I kept looking
at the pattern and thought it was calling to have

some fuzzy texture. I found some Super Kid Seta
Alessandra by Filati which is made up of 70%
Super Kid Mohair, and 30% Seta-Silk. The colour
is 1014. I wish it had a name for the colour,
but it's listed as just a number.

The other strand is Dawn 2ply 50% Wool - 50% Silk. Colour #4. It's made in Auckland New Zealand for Naturally, Hand Knit Yarns

I've got the wrist made up and I'm now starting the gusset. The pattern is easy to follow, and is going quite fast. I wanted to incorporate beads into the mitts so I've been putting them in where I think it would look best intermingled with the lace pattern.
As I've said before, it's going fast so I'm hoping I won't suffer from second mitt syndrome after finishing the first one.


Next up is a pattern from Knitty . Issue - Winter 2005, pattern - Mrs. Beeton

I loved this as soon as a I saw it. It's incorporating beads, mohair, and lots of colour. Designed by Brenda Dayne from the U.S. living in west Wales.

I bought enough fibre to do two sets of these Victorian styled gauntlets.








Dream Mohair, colour 582, 95 metres
Misti Alpaca, worsted weight 4 ply, colour EZ14, 218 yards
Glass beads from Michaels craft store



Second set of gauntlets will be made up of Italian Mohair, Idena Mohair Lux, colour 4053
I'm guessing by the label it
holds 180 metres My Italian isn't that good.

The other yarn is from Dale of Norway
Tiur Dalegarn, colour 4545, 60% mohair, 40% wool, 115 metres




Hopefully this should keep me occupied for sometime. I'm looking forward to wearing them this fall.



In the meantime here's a pic of a robin's nest in our front lilac tree. I'm having to keep tabs on the neighbours cat whose latest hangout is sitting at the bottom watching the mom and chicks.



No comments: