Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fibre Friday......

It's been raining all week, and on Friday the sun finally broke through, so we headed to Brightbank Finnsheep Farm.













I had heard about Kathy Playdon's finnsheep through another knitting blog, Gypsy Spinner. I couldn't believe my luck in finding a locally produced fleece from someone in Ontario....another one of the amazing things of the online knitting community. Good news travels fast.

Anyway I dragged DH along with me, and we had a great time meeting Kathy and getting a tour of the farm. I took a few pictures.......


























So I'll be trying my hand at this fleece cleaning thing again, and then processing it so that I can eventually spin it. I'm so looking forward to working with this finnsheep fleece....














Here's the fleece in all it's glory.....the left pic is the inside all white and fluffy showing the marvelous crimp the finnsheep have. The pic on the right (sorry for the weird angle camera shot) is showing part of the exterior which is the side where all the dirt and vm is. Looks pretty dirty....it may take me some time to get to cleaning this.....stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the cleanin' part. You ain't kiddin!!!! HAHA

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Finn is some of my favorite fleece to spin. It's just so perfectly balanced - it's shiny, soft, easy to work with. Just about perfect!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I would be more than happy to share some of my icelandic wool, I have a short attention span and I would love to trade for some Finn! :)

Molly