Friday, July 16, 2010

Life is too short........

to be spinning fibre that's not going to be used for knitting. So this Shetland that I bought a couple weeks ago is going to be used for stuffing pillows, handknit toys, teddybears, etc.By looking at this picture of the top spread apart you wouldn't think there was anything wrong, but upon spinning I knew this was going to go extremely slow. In between pulling out nubs, nups, or whatever you call them, the spun singles felt awful.I first started spinning some Alpaca which is sitting resting on the bobbins right now. Then I started on this Merino/Tencel blend and it was like spinning heaven. This is a bobbin of single ply. I'll spin up another one and hopefully ply it up for sock yarn.

So that's the progress for Tour de Fleece so far. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a very slow spinner, but the thing is I'm totally okay with that. When I get to finally sit at the wheel it's quality time for me, and I don't want to rush that.Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Monika said...

Only the first photo showed up for me. So far I've had only lovely soft Shetland to spin. It's too bad, but I agree with you. I've got some very rough fiber in my stash as well, and I'll keep that for spinning, when I've run out of everything else. :o)

Jody said...

Charlene I totally agree with you...life is too short and with so many luxury fibre choices out there (or in your stash)...who would choose to spin fibre such as that! As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even sell fibre like that to anyone if I didn't enjoy to spin it myself.